How To Keep Your Dishcloth Stink & Stain Free
Whether you are using a traditional washcloth or using a swedish washcloth, the most important question remains; how to get the sour smell out of your dishcloth?
Since Swedish dishcloths have gained a lot of popularity, how to wash Swedish washcloths is another most sought after question. Swedish dishcloths are made up of 70% natural cellulose and 30% cotton! The eco-friendly all rounder Swedish washcloth, beats the plain simple paper towel at its own game. The highly absorbent and easy to clean features makes it a popular choice.
In this article we will briefly look at keeping your Swedish dishcloths fresh with a longer lifespan. You can also use these tips and tricks to keep your traditional dishcloths from getting smelly.
How to Wash or Clean a Swedish Dishcloth?
These two important terms are often used interchangeably. However, when it really comes down to properly cleaning the business these two terms have certain key differences that sets them apart.
Cleaning the dishcloth simply means removing dirt, stains or considerable food particles that often latch on the cloth.
Disinfecting the dishcloth means killing the harmful bacteria that can contaminate your food if not treated properly with the right washing chemicals.
Based on your use, you have to switch between cleaning and disinfecting your Swedish dishcloth. Here is how you can easily do it;
- Start off with warm water, and clean your Swedish washcloth thoroughly. Make sure all the big food particles that you can see on the cloth are thoroughly removed.
- For stubborn stains, let your dishcloth soak in warm water for some time, before gently scrubbing it and getting rid of the stains.
For the disinfecting part;
- Simply wash your Swedish washcloth through using a good disinfectant that is not harsh enough to harm the cloth material and not weak enough to not kill the bacteria properly.
4 Effective ways on how to Properly Wash your Swedish Washcloth
Once you have learnt the hang between cleaning and disinfecting;
Using the Washing Machine
If you are often wash your clothes, then this is the simplest and most convenient hack. All you have to do is simply place your Swedish dishcloth in with your laundry and run the normal cycle of your washing. For disinfecting through the washing machine you can run a longer cycle with more hot water. For drying, normally air dry your dishcloth.
Microwaving your Swedish washcloth is one of the most traditional and oldest tricks in the book. Start with thoroughly wetting your Swedish dishcloth to avoid the dishcloth from overheating or from catching fire. You can also place your dishcloth in a water bowl and microwave it for 1 minute. Be cautious when handling the hot wet dishcloth as it can cause serious skin burn. Once fully microwaved, allow the washcloth to cool down and then simply air dry it.
Boiling a Dishcloth in Baking Soda
Simply place your washcloth in a boiling pot with a tablespoon of baking soda, you may also want to add some essential oil to kill the sour smell of the washcloth. Let the cloth simmer for a couple of minutes and then let it soak for a couple of minutes before washing it and letting it air dry. Be careful when removing it from the pot as it will be boiling hot.
For using the bleach solution in the most effective manner, Michigan State University provides some helpful pointers to keep your dishcloth clean. Summarising the whole procedure;
- Make a solution with bleach and hot water.
- Take one cup of hot water with half a teaspoon of bleach.
- Keep the dishcloth soaked for over 1 minute to get rid of all the residue.
- Airdry and use again.
The dont’s of cleaning your Swedish dishcloths
You can't really go wrong with a Swedish dishcloth, but here are a few precautionary measures to take when you clean your dishrags.
- Never directly put it in the dryer, always opt to air dry. Since Swedish dishcloths are made up of natural fibers it's always recommended to preserve its longevity and use.
- Avoid fabric softener at all costs. Fabric softener is often filled with unnecessary chemicals that can deeply contaminate your food.
- Avoid using super harsh detergents just for the sake of cleaning your washcloths.
Use the Best Dishcloth for your Cleaning Activity!
If you are wondering which quality Swedish dishcloth to buy, Happy Sinks is your go to place! At Happy Sinks you will find the most modern, unique yet most eco-friendly dishcloths that conveniently replaces all kinds of towels, sponges and traditional cloth rags. Make sure you grab yours today!