Our goal is to make housework more fun but at the same time we want to be nice to the planet and people. This is why we have chosen GOTS certified cotton as the material for our dish cloths. The purpose of GOTS is to certify the entire production cycle of a product, from the cultivation of the raw material to the final stage of the product. The Global Organic Textile Standard (GOTS) is the worldwide leading textile processing standard for organic fibres, including ecological and social criteria, backed up by independent third-party certification of the entire textile supply chain.
A textile product carrying the GOTS label must contain a minimum of 70% certified organic fibres. Organic cotton is grown without synthetic pesticides, insecticides, or herbicides and GMOs (Genetic Modified Organisms) according to the principles of organic agriculture.
All suppliers and subcontractors must also be certified. In addition, the environmental requirements of the GOTS must be complied with and each production team must work in accordance with the social requirements set by the GOTS. This means, among other things, that workers' rights are in place throughout the production chain - for those working on cotton plantations and for factory workers.
What makes GOTS cotton (dish cloths) a bit better?
- It is a better choice for the surrounding nature, water bodies and animals, as harmful fertilizers and pesticides used in traditional cultivation do not pollute the environment.
- The use of heavy metals, formaldehyde and nanoparticles is completely banned, and the use of many other chemicals and substances in production is very limited.
- The water used in production is always treated before being released into the nature.
- Our GOTS cotton dish cloths have a longer lifespan because they can be washed multiple times. No microplastics are released when washing them.
- As a monomaterial, GOTS cotton is easier to recycle and re-use.
- GOTS sets strict requirements concerning working and social conditions at all stages of the production cycle.
Technical quality parameters for colour fastness and shrinkage for finished goods are required. High quality products tend to last longer in use.
Text by Mikaela Lindfors, Sales Coordinator at HAPPY SiNKS and Magisso,
Master of Science BSc (Econ) majoring in Responsible Business.